WhisperingBrooks

Blessed is the man....He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither.... Psalm 1:3

Name:

IN THE BEGINNING GOD In the maddening pace of daily living, it's easy to forget! From the moment my eyes pop open in that early light of a new dawn, 'til they finally close with the heaviness of night's slumber, I'm running. Even in stillness, my mind's awhirl, digesting my day, and all the cares it bears. In the midst of the good, the bad, and the ugly, I've forgotten. Here I'll attempt to share my journey into a more faithful seeking after the evidence of God's fingerprints, the evidence of God's presence in even the smallest details of life. Some have called it 'savoring the observable presence' of God. My journey begins 'in the beginnng,' and the varied terrain my travels take me through are yet unknown. However, you're welcom to journey with me. Together we can discover anew the God Who knew our name before the beginning of time. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Whose covenant of love wove the garment of grace we can wear today. The great I AM, Who WAS, and IS, and IS TO COME. The Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the Author and Finisher of faith Who will guide avery step of our journey with Him.

Monday, January 17, 2005

AFFLICTION'S PROGENY


. . . and the second son he called Ephraim,
“For God had caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.”

Gen. 41:52


For a woman, bearing a child is a process, full of blessing. Usually quite an exciting one, despite episodic nausea or quirky cravings. Anticipation fills each stage. Every nuance is precious, stored away in its own house of remembering, where it will be taken out endlessly over the years, reviewed in minutest detail, and cherished as blessing-born.

Despite all pregnancy, when you get right down to it, being uncharted lands of excitingly fresh discoveries, the condition defies secrecy. Life, though secreted away in safety’s womb, with the growing becomes evident. Finally the expected, eagerly anticipated child arrives, lays in your arms for the first time, filling that emptiness your heart has held secured just for its arrival.

Maybe that’s why Joseph’s words catch me up short. Fruitfulness in affliction? And I’m left pondering a new born awareness.

How have I failed to recognize the arrival of my own child? My Ephraim?

Paul reminds me in Romans 5 what Ephraim most likely looks like: perseverance, character, hope, love....and countless other children gracing my life. Each and every one a child God caused to be birthed in me in the land of my affliction.

Too often, at least in my life, “affliction” seems that land to be grudgingly endured . . . mumbling and grumbling-filled, on my part. Joseph, on the other hand, reminds me of something different.

Rather than being dismissed as a wasteland in which I hunger for the land of promise, I need to esteem affliction, in its varying guises, as a God-designed land of opportunity.

Lord, may I learn to recognize affliction’s land as a territory impregnated with Your heaven-produced harvest. May I embrace it with rejoicing, holding out my now empty arms, awaiting the Ephraim soon to fill them.



© DeAnna L. Brooks
17 January 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links
view my guestbook | sign my guestbook
get your free guestbook
Free Web Counters
MBA Online